Thursday, May 29, 2008

Alchohol Story

Alcohol. The substance made from malted cereal grains, yeast, water, and other ingredients, that alter chemicals in one’s body and mind. There’s a few types of alcohol, beer, wine, hard spirits, each with its own subcategories. And I have indulged in most of the over the years, even though technically I’m not considered of age to do so. Unlike the normal person, I don’t black out when I drink; I tend to remember things quite well. Such, for instance, the first time I ever drank alcohol. It was the last weekend in June, the summer between my freshman and sophomore year of high school. I was fifteen at the time.

My friends began experimenting with alcohol the summer prior to this, and had offered my drinks in the past. I always stated I wouldn’t drink until I turned sixteen, so I could ‘legally’ drink and drive. But on this particular night, my friends had acquired a bottle of Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum. I overheard people claim that this was one of the greatest concoctions created by man, but like Adam and Eve with the forbidden fruit, the temptation to try it was overwhelming. I wouldn’t normally have gone through with the night’s activities otherwise. There were eight of us, or was it nine? I’m not 100 percent sure, my memory fails me. My friends Brady, Phil, my cousin Scott, Greg and his stoner cousin, Renee, and either Meghan or Christa, possibly both. We were walking to Brady’s house, since his parents were out for the evening. On the way, we stopped to check out my newly acquired car, but in reality, it was just a safe place to refill the mixed drinks.

We made it to Brady’s house and retired to the outdoor balcony on the second floor. My throat had grown parched and went to the basement for a soda. Since I had intended to drink some of the rum, I had hoped for Coke Cola, the prime mixer of choice for Morgan. But alas, all there was were Mountain Dew and root beer. I chose the root beer, going on the concept of dark drink, dark soda. I sipped on the pop and waited ‘til the sky grew dark before I asked, “Could I have some of that stuff there?” referring to the spirit. My friends, astounded and amazed, congratulated me on lasting this long and welcomed me to the ‘dark side’. I topped off my soda with the rum, roughly filling one third of the can. I put it to my lips and let the liquid flow into my mouth. For as long as I walk the Earth, I will never forget the sensation. The flavor, the feeling is hard to describe. There was this sweetness, but more noticeable was the burn, the beautiful fiery burn. It was like I had swallowed liquid hot magma, but it was pleasurable. When I exhaled, I felt a similar feeling one gets from eating something with cinnamon and mint, but more intense. I enjoyed the rest of the night, socializing with my friends and feeling the alcohol’s effects.

Later in the night, I experienced another first. We ordered a pizza from the local bar, which had been recently purchased by my cousins. I had never had the pizza my friends ordered, but they insisted. Pepperoni and hot cheese. Oh, it was glorious. The rum’s effect on taste and fiery burn coupled nicely with the spice of the pizza. Wonderful…And that was just the beginning of my on going relationship with alcohol.

No comments: